Saturday, July 26, 2014

MY NEW COMMITMENT

The Outer Edge
Yesterday's skate was a bigger AH-HA than the one before, and it is my intention for each AH-HA to be greater than the last.  Starting to just override any balance/falling fear issues is liberating me and I'm  simply having more fun.  I'm pushing myself with each session.

I dared to crossover with the left over right.  This is similar to picking up a pen and writing with your non dominant hand and come up with something more than the scribble of a pre-schooler.  I dared myself to put that foot over the other one.  The session was just more fun, the mood of everyone more jovial than usual, or maybe it was just mehaving more fun and less fear.....FINALLY.

The 'other' Jane who coaches, gave me the best tip - on how to turn my body into the circle, thereby "committing to the outer edge" - when I tried this with my crossover, I FELT THE COMMITMENT, I FELT the outer edge of that skate as never before.....I leaned INTO it as never before and voile` - I didn't fall over!!!!!!  This was a glorious moment for me, and despite the Zamboni firing up it's monstrous noise signifying everyone off the ice immediately, I just had to experience this a couple of more times.

I am usually the last one off the ice anyway, but this time, I was exhilarated more than ever upon my exit.  This time also, my little granddaughter, Savannah was with me, all bundled up with blanket, my pink fluffy socks and a sack full of treats.  She ate the whole time and made friends with Brooklynn, a sweet girl of 11 who skates, her mom Jennifer is a hoot and quite an impressive skater.

For one who has decided to make no commitments to any other human, it is lovely to make a commitment to the outside edge of my beautiful black Harlick skates, which I fall more deeply in love with every time I put them onto my bare feet.  

When asked if I will start my granddaughter skating, I say, "No, this sport is for me!  If they want to skate, their mother can take them."  

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog! Thank you for keeping us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marty: Thank you for your reply & loving my blog! I am just now reviewing my blogs, and found your wonderful reply - I'm so sorry to have not kept up on THIS aspect of blogging & responded my appreciation to you sooner! Recovering currently from hand surgery, I'm off-ice for awhile and allowing the healing process to take priority. Blessings to you and thank you for reading and taking the time to have commented!

      Delete